Monday, February 11, 2008

New Product Review


If you ever walk thru Walgreens, and walk down the junkfood aisle, and spot a new Nabisco product called Oreo Cakesters, just keep walking. In a weak moment, I stopped walking, and picked up said product, then said to myself, "I gotta try these." To make matters worse, I brought them home, turned on the TV, and ate the Oreo Cakesters while watching "Two and a Half Men." It doesn't get lower than that.

The Oreo Cakesters are billed as a "soft snack cake." This is where I should have questioned the basic premise of the product. Oreos have always been about the hard cookie and soft centers. When both the cookie and the center are soft, you really don't have an Oreo at all, but something closer to a Ding Dong. So what we really have here is one company, Nabisco, trying to horn in on the business of another company, Hostess. I would have to rate the Ding Dong superior to the Oreo Cakester. Hostess has been making Ding Dongs for as long as I can remember. It's a product that has stood the test of time. Nice try, Nabisco.

No comments: